When it comes to baking cakes I am not exactly what you would call talented but these tiny little Christmas Cakes are an absolute doddle and dare I say idiot proof!
The preparation time is super quick and they take only 30 minutes to bake in the oven. You could decorate these little gems in a multitude of ways… You could even try covering them with marzipan and icing and decorate as you would a full sized cake! Tiny stars or miniature candy canes on white icing would look adorable too, just use your imagination.
YOU WILL NEED:
50 g butter
45 g dark (soft) sugar
40 g self raising flour
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp of brandy
2 tsp mixed spice
100 g sultanas
100 g Chopped dates
150 g chopped nuts
HOW TO MAKE YOUR CAKES:
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C.
- Mix all of your ingredients thoroughly, either by hand or with a mixer.
- Grease a muffin tin and divide your mixture evenly into the twelve holes.
- Smooth the top of the mixture over with the top of a teaspoon.
- Place in your pre heated oven for 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely before turning them out and store them in an airtight tin until you are ready to decorate them.
I simply used what I had to hand to decorate my little cakes, making a basic white icing, (flavoured with vanilla essence) and topped them with glace cherries, candied peel, coconut and so on. These would be fun to decorate with the kids and make a change from mince pies!